In 1877 architects Martin Gropius and Heino Schmieden conceived the Kunstgewerbemuseum Berlin in the style of Italian renaissance. The quadratic layout with a side length of 70 metres encloses a courtyard of approx. 40 metres length, 30 metres width and a height of around 26 metres.
Following its careful restoration in the 70’s today the Martin Gropius Bau is one of the most famous and attractive buildings for temporary exhibitions in Berlin, in the direct vicinity of Potsdamer Platz.
For die exhibition of neoexpressive paintings of the 50’s incl. Jackson Pollock the centre courtyard was transformed into an imposing painting gallery. The room design and the areas for the most important pieces of art were created from walls from our construction system and covered with plasterboard. From this spatial framework a roof construction was created that connected the inner courtyard to the surrounding galleries on the first floor. The construction of steel tubing and matted glass assumed the form of the roof of the inner courtyard and reflected it as a mirror above the first floor. A sail as the upper connection protected the exhibitions from strong daylight and ensure with the glass roof construction for ideal illumination.